Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Greatest Gift


What do famous authors say when asked how someone could become a writer? They pretty much all say the same thing…If you want to be a writer- you have to write. I don't know about you, but that advice never helped me very much. It sounded good, in theory, but the reality of it stunk. Exactly what are you supposed to do with that giant sheet of white in front of you? I shifted writing to my "Someday List," and got on with life.

Imagine my surprise when I woke, the day after Christmas, 2008, with a compulsion to sit at my laptop and write. We had a house full of guests and the usual holiday chaos reigned, yet I ignored it all and grabbed my laptop. Sometime in the night, I'd received the world's best gift: an epic tale of paranormal romance, sprinkled with smutty goodness. Not just one book, mind you, but a series of several books, fully populated with a cast of characters, magick, Druids, and shape shifters.

It didn't matter that it wasn't "my" genre, what did matter was there was now a young woman, Elena MacFarland, living in my head, insisting on having her story told, and told her way. Who was I to argue? I started writing. A year later, I'm still at it, writing every day, and listening to an increasing number of voices in my head.

It has been quite an adventure, join me as I recount some of my favorite character moments, explore the world of publishing, and continue to speak for the voices in my head…

No comments:

Post a Comment